Friday, February 8, 2008

Valentine Laments

It is that time of the year, I dread. It is the fast approaching Valentines day that has me in utmost confusion and guilt. Confused for what to get and guilt because of missing it last time as well.

I have never been good with gifts and my poor wife can vouch for it. Why do I lament now? I was told that a Husband should give gifts to a wife on Valentine's Day, Marriage Anniversary and the Birthday. The last 2 I can understand but Valentine's is kind of imposing on you. Highly western and Valentine was a bachelor saint.

So in 2 years of my marriage and 5 gifts, I am out of ideas. 2 times 3 is 5 isn't it. To make the matters more interesting, JARED is on TV all the time. For whatever reason every girl skating or dining is saying that their Husband/Boyfriend has been to Jared. This Jared guy is the diamond guy. I do not see any guy at a golf course or a baseball game, pull out a iPhone and say 'She went to Best Buy'.

Forget about Best Buy, there is nothing on TV that shows a girl going to even Wal-Mart for her husband on a Valentine's Day or any other day. For a game console, the Chinese guy knocks at the door and says we(WII) like to play. I do not want a short Chinese guy at my door wanting to play with me.

Even on a Fathers day, a guy is shown buying a phone to every member of this family member a phone so he gets a 5th phone for free for himself and consoles himself he is the Numero Uno. Of course no one else is ready to proclaim him such anyway.

And then there are songs like 'What a Girl Wants' and 'Diamonds are girls true friends' No such song for the guys. As they said life is never fair for the non fair sex. It is unfair.

I have to get back to my online search in search of a suitable gift. Do I sound like an Indian father trying to find a suitable bride to his daughter. Exactly.

No comments: